Saturday, March 13, 2010

Trying New Things

Many of you out there know that I am pretty crafty, but I have my limitations. Despite my usually neat handwriting, I cannot do calligraphy. I didn't think I could decorate cakes well, and, although I can sew and hope to get better at it and make lots of cute things for Jillian, I was really nervous to ty these things out of my comfort zone.

I am so thankful to my friend Kellie, who said she knew I could do it when I asked her how to decorate an Elmo cake. Her encouragement (and willingness to lend me some of her decorating stuff, led to this:



I couldn't be more excited about how it turned out. And it was easier than I anticipated! Now, I'm no Duff Goldman, but I now have more confidence in my cake decorating abilities.

Then, there's the dress. My friends Jennifer and Kellie both got their daughters adorable birthday jumpers with appliqued cakes on them. Every year, they add another candle. Jennifer's daughter was able to wear it through her 5th birthday (by that time, it was just a top). I knew I had to get one for Jillian.

So I went to the store and bought this. For $69.


I got home feeling major buyer's remorse. Especially after Kellie told me they charge $30 to applique on a new candle every year! I knew I could make the jumper. I didn't think I could do the applique. Another friend, Melissa, encouraged me to call a friend of hers to do the applique for me. Time was running out, and I thought maybe I could do it myself.

With more encouragement from my friends Paula and Gretchen (both of whom have done applique for their daughters) I went to Hancock fabrics, bought my materials, and got started. Had a friend embroider Jillian's name, and luckily, had my mom to finish hemming the lining and do the button holes for me the morning of Jillian's party when I had no patience left.

I am very pleased with the outcome:


And Jillian looked beautiful in it!

The lesson? With patience, hard work, and lots of good friends, you can do anything you put your mind to!

10 comments:

Katy said...

AMY! The cake = AWESOME!
And, in my opinion, I never would have known your dress is homemade...it's brighter than the store-bought one! LOVE IT!

Aunt Sandy said...

I love, love, love your Elmo Cake and Jillian's dress?? Wayyyyyyyyyy too cute! xxoo

JenniferL. said...

That cake is super cute and the dress you made is way cuter than the over-priced one you bought originally!

Kelley said...

You did an AWESOME job on the cake and dress!! Way to go mom!

Paula Jennings said...

I LOVE the dress! You did a great job! Much cuter than the one you bought.

notesfortomorrow said...

Yay! AWESOME work! Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone. AWESOME job and the dress is much cuter (like your brighter cake colors) then the overpriced one! You need to put a special label in it that says "Made by Mommy".

nanny said...

Anonyamous comment was from Nanny. Sorry pushing buttons way too fast!

cory said...

Yes you can! I agree...your version of the dress is much cuter!

Gretchen said...

The dress turned out great Amy!! Job well done!!!!